Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Admissions office? Where's that?


It's been about fifteen years since I spent much time on a physical college campus aside from the occasional jaunt to UMD, GMU, and of course Trinity. Getting my grad experience started has been an interesting re-introduction to campus life, and I spent much of yesterday meandering from office to office and getting to know Catholic University. It was a gorgeous day, so I joyously donned my Vans slip-ons and ventured forth to the green and hilly campus.

Columbus School of Law (right)

This is near where I'll be taking several classes. Recently, the School of Library & Information Science (SLIS) was changed to a department in the school of Arts and Sciences, so it is now simply an LIS. Since last year's earthquake damaged the beautiful Marist Hall, the offices of LIS moved to the Columbus School of Law, one of the most modern and striking buildings on campus.

Standing in front of the Columbus School of Law, looking toward the lawn

 I'm incredibly fond of this area. There are benches and sunny spots, chairs, trees, and it's just filled with fresh air.


 
The Kane Center
The whole reason I went to campus yesterday was to hand in some records to the Graduate Admissions office, but lo and behold they sent me to Student Health Services at the Kane Center. . . which was closed due to it being the summer and all. . . . I scanned the forms at the library and sent them to myself, so I'm still kinda waiting for the bureaucracy to sort itself out. (update: WHICH IT HAS JUST DONE)

The great upside to being on campus yesterday was that despite not REALLY getting anything done, I did get some other things done. Recently I met my new friend, Liz, via Twitter. Actually we were introduced on Twitter by a fellow student at CUA who I met at my monthly #DCHDC meetup, which I've gushed about here before.

Columbus School of Law (left) and "The Pryz" (right)

Since the Internet introduction, the two of us have met up for dinner and tweeted back and forth regularly about our classes. Liz and I met up for coffee and sat in the sun while ruminating on major questions in life as well as how on earth we were both going to learn the Library of Congress cataloging scheme (answer: online tutorials, duh). We're taking a class together this coming semester, so I'm grateful to have someone to sit next to in class. Sometimes being back on a campus just reminds me how easy it is to feel alone, especially when starting something completely new.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the only one whose "grateful to have someone to sit next to in class." I'm so glad that Alice introduced us!

    ReplyDelete